What You Need to Know,
What You Can Do!
Many Maine pastors have been asking about H.R. 5, the so-called federal Equality Act. The League believes the Equality Act’s potential implications for churches warrant this urgent call to action.
While “equality” and “nondiscrimination” of course sound good in the abstract, in actuality, this bill could pose serious threats to religious freedom and to women’s rights.
For starters, the Equality Act has no religious exemptions! In addition:
- It could directly impact churches and ministries by preventing them from being able to live out Biblical beliefs about marriage, sexual morality, and the distinction between the sexes.
- It could force churches to open sex-specific facilities to members of the opposite sex.
- It could compel ministries and Christian business owners to pay for health coverage that includes procedures that go against their deeply held convictions such as “sex reassignment” surgeries.
- It could forbid churches from ensuring that their employees abide by their doctrines or beliefs about marriage, sexual behavior, and the distinction between the sexes.
- It would not allow religious individuals and organizations to use the Religious Freedom Restoration Act to defend themselves from the threats it creates.
On Feb. 25th, the Equality Act passed in the U.S. House of Representatives, 224-206, and it has been in the U.S. Senate since March 1st. U.S. President Joe Biden has indicated he will sign this bill.
Angus King Phone: (202) 224-5344
Susan Collins Phone: (202) 224-2523
Let’s be Vigilant for God’s Truth
Many of you are aware that public hearings are now taking place in our state legislature. Now more than ever, because these hearings are accessible online, we have the opportunity to advocate for God’s truth regarding critical issues touching the sanctity of human life, religious freedom, parental rights, and other issues that matter to many of us.
Click Here to stay updated with the bills on which we are focusing.
Even though we are facing restrictions due to the pandemic, we are still willing to serve your ministry by speaking in person or recording services for you. If you are interested in the League helping out with your pulpit needs, contact Carroll at email@example.com
April 18 – Lincoln Center Baptist Church, 517 Military Road, Lincoln
April 25 – Greenfield Baptist Church, Crocker Turn Rd, Greenbush