- Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons. Source: World Health Organization
- The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
- FGM can cause severe bleeding, cysts, infections, and complications in childbirth.
- 200 million girls and women are affected worldwide in 30 countries
- FGM is mostly carried out on young girls between infancy and age 15.
- FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
All information was taken from www.preventfgminmaine.com/about-fgm.html