“Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth” 2 Timothy 2:25
I wish I could describe how rewarding it is to walk in our capitol and have someone come up to me and ask for prayer for a loved one or to have someone who may not be “politically aligned” ask me to recommend a church to attend in their community. While advocating for God’s truth is central to the League’s mission, we must never forget we do so as ambassadors of God’s love and the hope that lies within us.
January was incredibly busy and productive. Here is just a sample of some of our non-legislative activities:
- attending inspirational Maine Prays and Maine Prayer Strategy meetings where God’s people are gathering and asking Him for revival
- participating in several meetings planning and promoting Safe Families, a Christian alternative to foster care
- meeting with pastors in Bangor and Waterville to discuss ministering to recovering addicts through the dignity of work via our Work2Win program
January also calls our legislature back into session. We ask for your prayers as we are presently involved in scheduled bills dealing with the following topics:
We are also keeping an eye on two other unscheduled bills, and if either of the following bills enter the legislative process, they will command great resources and effort on our part:
- LD 1763 would allow medical professionals other than doctors to perform abortions
- LD 912 may prohibit licensed counselors from providing Bible-based guidance to minors struggling with same-sex attraction (language of this legislation is not yet available)
For us to effectively pursue our legislative and non-legislative efforts, we need churches, families, and individuals to support us with both their finances and prayers. One very helpful way to support the League is to give monthly. As the Lord provides, may we continue to co-labor to see our state and our nation be places where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
P.S. Please pray for our Board and Legislative Committee. They will be interviewing the five Republican candidates for governor on February 3 at the League offices to determine their positions on issues important to all of us in the upcoming primary.